The number one trend in African weddings right now is to make a statement and wear your dress like the queen that you are. There is a generalization that often proves its worth; women of color know how to wear confidence like a million dollar diamond. This is being highlighted, as African women throughout the globe know how to glide down the aisle in true African royalty.
This article explores the meeting point of the Western Wedding and the Traditional African ceremony, including tips for a successful and respectful dream wedding.
The variety of cultural wedding traditions spanning the scope of the African culture is immense. Yet centering every culture is the heart of the African Spirit, where respect, honor and family are exalted. Traditionally, they are largely celebrations of a spiritual nature consciously acknowledging the significance of the union.
Western marriage has its roots someplace similar, however the glitz and glam of the event too often takes over and drowns out the calls for culture. The following are the three top tips to keep this precarious balance in check:
- There is a beautiful balance to be found for your special day.
- By knowing what your particular traditional rituals are, you can begin to understand them. As you begin to understand them, you will see how natural they will be to incorporate into your wedding day.
- Find out what the elders in you family expect and disapprove of. In this way there won’t be any surprise emotional outbursts that may taint your perfect picture. If you are willing to compromise then do so otherwise prepare your family members and explain to them why it is important to you. Sometimes all it takes is honest, heartfelt communication.
2. Understand and Integrate Traditions
- If there are western traditions that you wish to incorporate in your marriage ceremony then you must understand these and what they mean as well. Ask questions about each thing so you can get a clear understanding of what it means. You will then be able to understand how the African and western ceremonies can blend in together. The secret to a successful recipe is to understand each ingredient and how they work.
3. Enjoy this occasion.
- As mentioned initially, the latest trend in African weddings is to shine bright and exude confidence. The most authentic way to do this is to choose to enjoy your day. You have been stressing, planning, making phone calls and being a bona fide wonder woman since the start of the serious planning. Now it is time for you to relax and enjoy your ceremonious occasion. When a woman feels truly beautiful, she cannot feel stressed and uptight. When a woman feels truly beautiful, she exudes a magical aroma and drops little dew drops of magic everywhere she walks. She is the lyrical essence of life and this is shown most clearly through bright, sparkly eyes and a true smile.
- As you allow yourself to own the dance floor, rocking your big night, you will be allowing each and every guest there to feel your joy. That is what is remembered at a great wedding; that pure feeling of content and excitement.
Your wedding has the potential to be a joyous and unforgettable occasion. Seek clarity with any cultural expectations. Speak openly and honestly with your family members about your ceremony ideas and why they are important to you. Lastly, but certainly most importantly, is to enjoy every single moment. In this way you will look and feel like the African queen you are and experience your wedding day in it’s fullest potential.