Curious about what an African wedding is? About what throwing one involves? Today we will go through the answers to those two questions. The past 19 articles covered it in detail, but this one is for those who haven’t yet made up their minds.
- First of all, an afro-inspired wedding isn’t that unique. All weddings have an inspiration, whether it is traditional western, Texan or Asian. Every wedding has a theme; African-inspired weddings have African culture as a theme. People have different reasons for choosing afro-inspired weddings: heritage, a taste for something unique or some such.
What does it involve?
- Obviously, throwing an afro-inspired wedding means most – if not all – aspects of the wedding will be based on African wedding culture. To best understand it, many decide to see how African couples throw their wedding, which is a good idea. The topics below are some of the topics we discussed, though in quite more detail than we will today.
- One of the most important things to know when planning a
themed wedding is how the originals do it. Most African weddings involve 2 celebrations: the traditional wedding and the modern wedding (also known as the “white wedding”). Their names say much about what goes on at those occasions, don’t they?
- The main point of the traditional wedding among most tribes is
officially introducing the groom’s family to that of the bride. This is also when dowry is handed over, having been discussed prior to the ceremony. The time gap between the traditional wedding and the white wedding is up to one’s discretion. But some who find holding two weddings a bit too tedious either select one or have an abbreviated version of the traditional wedding.
Some of the Things Considered In an Afro-Themed Wedding:
- Since I am being general, we will cover clothes, hair, make-up and decor. By looking at the modern African bride, we can conclude that you have a number of choices for clothes, hair and make-up: Many African brides today choose according to taste, be it African print and hairstyles or western fashions – rest assured you won’t be sued. But it is possible to reach a compromise – there are some modern-African bridal fashions available for use.
- As for the décor, it is best kept an African theme – after all, the wedding will be African themed, will it not? There really are quite a number of things to select from when thinking of African wedding décor.
- Mainly because it is linked to décor – you will see how, I promise – I think it best to talk about the cuisine now. African foods are quite diverse, what with the number of tribes there. For a sense of adventure – and to add to the feel of an African wedding – at least some of the food should be of African origin. Just keep your guests in mind when choosing the foods. Besides, using the African food serving dishes will add to the African theme. Things like the African millet basket are really quite eye-catching.
There are some topics we will not cover, like how to wax poetic African style and African wedding ethics. But at least, I think by now you have got an idea of what an African inspired wedding involves. Hopefully you will try it out! But while planning your wedding (which, by the way, it is high time I congratulated you on!) keep these words of Leonardo Da Vinci in mind:
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
For more African Wedding insights visit – http://ghana-wedding.com